The wedding stationery industry is changing at a substantial rate. It’s a creative sector that requires subjective thinking.
“Art and life are subjective. Not everybody’s gonna dig what I dig, but I reserve the right to dig it.” – Whoopi Goldberg
Bows and ribbons have been replaced by careful hand-painted illustration. Vivaldi, Times New Roman, and Bradley Hand have been replaced by fonts with edgy names like ‘Bacon Kingdom’, as well as an array of hand lettering and modern typography.
Some traditional print methods have been replaced by digital printing, and packaged paper products are being replaced by DIY printable designs. Hectic…
Searching for the perfect stationery design can be tiresome, or, incredibly easy depending on your taste. You may love elements of one design, but dislike the way it’s been put together. Or you may not quite like the colours, or fonts, or wording.
It’s a jungle out there, and you shouldn’t settle for anything that doesn’t get you, and your guests, excited.
There are a few things to consider when narrowing down your search for stationery. Will you pick a pre-designed stationery suite, or create a bespoke design from scratch?
Pre-designed stationery is a result of us creative types finding inspiration from anywhere and everywhere! It’s not easy being creative, so sometimes we say:
“Ok, so there’s this trend happening at the moment with tropical pineapples, or moustaches, or pugs. So let’s produce a design that’s in line with that trend, and hope that people will find a likening to it”
– which is basically a positive personal reaction that you are all conditioned to make, even though you don’t have a moustache or a pug and couldn’t give a toss about pineapples…
Bespoke stationery is when us creative types throw all those ideas to the side and focus on you, and you alone.
Imagine falling in love with someone, then creating a piece of art based on that love. Deep? Well deal with it, that’s what we’re doing.
You get to keep that piece of art and look at it forever, like,
“yeah, that’s us, we did that, and created it from nowhere, like groovy pioneers.”
A bit like having a baby; it’s yours, it’s awesome, and nobody else has it.
But what about this new digital/DIY/printable kid on the block? Well, word has it, printing wedding stationery yourself can be a little daunting. We’re going to debunk that myth!
- Firstly, don’t believe you must literally print yourself – unless you are going to hover over your printer for 2 hours, praying the paper doesn’t jam, and your ink doesn’t start fading away half way in. Contact your local print shop and get a quote. In fact, if you are really budget savvy, contact all your local print shops to find the best quote. You’d be surprised how affordable it can be, and of course, the quality isn’t compromised either.
- If you are environmentally conscious you can source an eco-friendly print shop to help and go for a recycled card.
- Choose to print as many, or as little as you like, and onto whatever you like. You’ll be in complete control of numbers, card colour/texture/thickness – all with their own financial savings. There are tonnes of creative, money-saving ideas for on-the-day stationery; such as having your guests place names printed onto labels, and then stuck onto glass bottles or tin cans? Brill!
- The longevity of your stationery doesn’t stop at the wedding. After your big day, why not be a total smarty-pants, and have your main motif printed onto a mug, cushion or tea towel?
- Printable stationery also gives you the freedom to choose your own envelopes, meaning you can opt for address printing or calligraphy.
- Send your overseas guests their invitations via Paperless Post by uploading your design. Or, don’t print at all, upload and send all your invitations via Paperless Post.